Policy & Legislation
220th NJ Legislative Session (2022-2024)
- S3596 and A4619 codify and extend the authorization for certain out-of-State healthcare practitioners and recent graduates of healthcare training programs to practice in New Jersey.
- S2825 and A4325 establish certain requirements and initiatives related to nurses; transfer oversight of certified nurse aides from DOH to the board of Nursing; appropriate $26.7 million.
- S1522 and A2286 eliminate certain practice restrictions for advanced practice nurses.
- A2194/S1050 requires newly licensed registered professional nurses to attain a baccalaureate degree in nursing within 10 years of initial licensure as a condition of renewal of license.
- A2195 prohibits the use of the “Nurse” title by an unlicensed person
- S304 and A4536 establishes minimum registered professional nurse staffing standards for hospitals and ambulatory surgery facilities and certain DHS facilities.
- A244 requires hospitals to establish nurse staffing committees.
219th NJ Legislative Session (2020-2022)
- A5557 expands continuing education requirements for nurses (Domestic Violence education).
- Long Term Care Bills introduced in the NJ State Assembly: A4478, A4479, A4480, A4483, A4485.
- Long Term Care Bills introduced in the NJ State Senate: S2759, S2784, S2786, S2788, S2791.
- A1760 “Consumer Access to Healthcare Act” eliminates requirement of joint protocol with physical for advanced practice nurses to prescribe medication.
- A1773 establishes a tuition reimbursement program for certain advance practice nurses who provide mental health care services in underserved areas in New Jersey.
- A1762 and S1082 require newly licensed registered professional nurse to attain baccalaureate degree in nursing within 10 years of initial licensure as a condition of renewal of the license.
- A2439 and S1083 establish minimum registered professional nurse staffing standards for hospitals and ambulatory surgery facilities and certain DHS facilities.
- A1791 requires hospitals to establish nurse staffing committees.
- A1419 and S525 revise identification badge requirements for hospital staff.
- A3829 prohibits use of “Nurse” title by unlicensed person.
- A5020– permits advanced practice nurse to testify in lieu of psychiatrist at court hearing for involuntary commitment.
- A5037– Requires Board of Nursing to establish dual certification for certified nurse aide; transfers certified nurse aide licensing authority from DOH to Board of Nursing.
- S76 Authorizes school nurses to administer opioid antidotes to overdose victims on school property, with immunity from civil, criminal, and professional liability, pursuant to the “Overdose Prevention Act.”
- A3721 and S2552 Requires implicit bias training for physicians.
How a Bill Becomes Law
There are many steps for a bill to become a law. This link will walk you through those steps needed to get a bill to become a law in New Jersey. For more information go to https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/legprocess.asp
Find Your Legislator
It is easy to search for your Legislator. You can search by alphabetical list, municipality or legislative district here.
Once you have selected your representative you can electronically correspond with your representative using this option.